Thursday, September 11, 2008

Tuesday's With Morrie

I've been reading a lot lately. I kind of go through the "stages" where I just want to read. Read anything I can get my hands on or I just want to knit. I wish I could do both at the same time. But books on audio only work well for me if I'm driving. I'm too distracted other ways.

Tuesday's With Morrie by Mitch Album is one of those books on my list of "everyone needs to read". My bro read this a couple years ago and recommended to me. I put it on my shelf and just never did anything with it. We'll I've read it and I love it. I cry at the end each time, even though I know the book ends the same way. I always hope that maybe Morrie will get up and start dancing, even if for just one last time. The book is about Morrie dying but it's also about all the things he felt that were important in his life.

One of the things that really hit me was that you needed to deatch from the feeling. So if you're scared of something, it's ok to acknowledge that you're scared of it. But once you've know what is making you scared and why, now it's time to detach and move on. I think that's the only way that Morrie could truly comes to grips with the fact he was dying. If he didn't, he'd also lay around feeling sorry for himself. He never would of made the attempts and get out of bed.

I think as a society was tend to dwell on the things we can't change. I'm guilty of that. I always worry/stress about things I have no control over. I need to recognize what the problem is and then detach so I can move on.

I loved the section about Money. Today it seems like everything is about money. If you don't have money you can't do anything. But money doesn't buy you love. It doesn't buy you happiness. Money is a necessasity but it isn't what makes you happy or bring you love.

Definiately a book to read if you haven't.

I'm currently reading "The last lecture".

~danielle~

PS. I also finished another book by Linda Lael Miller - "The man from stone creek." Will talk about that one later!

No comments: