My aunt and uncle will be arriving today. They left last Friday (from Ohio) and drove to Nashville, TN. They will arrive here this evening and then tomorrow we will make the 7 hour trip to San Antonio to my parent's house. Lane and I will get to ride in a RV! I'm exciting to see what he thinks of this as he will be able to move around a bit during the trip. I'm also a bit nervous b/c I wont have my car down in SA and it's a long trip, knowing he can move around. I'll be packing the dvd player and his dvds!!
I finally got all the packages mailed out on Friday. I hope that means they will start to arrive today. I sent a finished preemie blanket to Shandeh, a finished baby blanket to Snowbear and then a WIP baby blanket to Robinknits. Those blankets are just turning out so beautiful.
I have also finished the front and the back of my pink duet shirt. It's seamed together and I'm taking it to mom's so she can help me read the directions and see what needs to happen next. I also picked my alene camisole back up. It's seamed up the sides and I've started working the lace bottom. I've gotten about 3 or so inches done. It's really pretty and really looks nice. I've also been looking at sock patterns. I want to cast on some more socks!
I've posted a question on the KH boards about how to read a pattern that is written from the top down, when I want to work from the toe up. I can't quite get my mind wrapped around that. We'll see how it goes :)
I also went to Roy's Toys and Trains and they gave me a $10 gift certificate for helping to advertise. I bought 1 set of thomas stickers and some cowboy stickers to work on Lane's scrapbook. I also bought him a train whistle, which is absoulately LOVES!
I was also approaced about doing some photography work. They want some Black and whites done of the big fountain in town. I went and played with it some, but when I return from vacation I'll definitely get to work on it. It would be nice to earn a little extra money on the side maybe.
Anyway, should be cleaning and packing. We are leaving in the morning!
A couple weeks/blogs back I wrote about going to Roy's Toys and trains store that is located in Jefferson Texas. I wrote about the experience we had and great of a time we had and about how much my son TOTALLY enjoyed the trains and the train ride.
Well yesterday I was checking email and I get an email from Vicki (Roy's wife) thanking me b/c she googled roys toys and trains and they ended up being 2nd on the google list due to my blog post. She said a big thank you and to come into the store as she had a gift for me. How cool is that?
I'm hoping to go into the store this evening or tomorrow and see what I've won. I just think it's really cool and I hope that someone else saw my blog post and comes in and visits their really cool shop!
I've had this movie for a month now and just never sat down to watch it. I knew it was going to be a tear jerker but I wasn't expecting what I got. That movie was amazing. Yes I cried for a good portion of the movie. But it was just amazing how even after death, her husband was able to help her through the healing process. Hilary Swank did what most people would do, which is just shut down and hide.
Words can't express how great this movie was. If you haven't seen it, I HIGHLY recommend it. Watch it with your girlfriends, your mothers, your sisters... bring lots of kleenex though. But it's so moving you will be just as awed as I am after you've seen it.
I finished the borders on the 2 oddball blankets I had! They look beautiful! I can't wait until snowbear and shandeh receive them! I'm sure they will make some little one very happy! Thanks to all the ladies that worked on the 2 blanekts that I started and to those that have worked on all the other blankets. We really touch the lives of other people!
Someone asked me why I knit for charity. Well there are 2 main reasons that I knit for charity. 1. I've had items knitted for me in the past when I've been through some rough times. It's always nice to receive something in a time of need. To be reminded that people do care about me even when I feel like noone does. So therefore I want to return the favor, or pass it on in a sense. 2. I know it's important to give to charity. We aren't poor but we certainly aren't rich. We don't really have the money to donate to charity, but I feel like donating my time/resources and skills is just as important.
I also enjoy the time I spend knitting items for charity. I knitted some squares for the victims of the Virginia Tech shooting. I was never a student there, but I did spend some time on the campus as I dated a guy there and did apply to be a student there. I felt I needed to donate a couple squares to help wrap those that needed in love and healing for the blankets. It goes without saying that the oddball projects are important. I've knitted on 2 oddball blankets and I hope that when they are complete they will really wrap someone up and provide warmth and love. Maybe a battered women's shelter or a halfway house.
The baby/preemie blankets I knit b/c I love babies. They are so innocent and many times are brought into this world with nothing. But then there are also the ones that come into this world, only to leave us. I, myself have lost a baby. At 14w5d I gave birth to a stillborn. Yes it was only 14w but the baby did have eyes, arms and legs. It was a baby, it was MY baby. So knitting blankets is something I can do to give back.
The prayer shawls I knit for church are just that. We give shawls to those that need it within our church and in our community. We have given away 7 shawls so far, one of which was given to me during the lose of my baby. I've crocheted one so far and in the middle of a 2nd.
So if you ask my why I knit for church, I might ask you, well why not? Haven't you ever been given something at just the right time or someone said or did something for you when you needed it most. It's the same thing :) I knit with my hands but it comes from my heart!
1. I was born on valentine's day. 2. I have green eyes. 3. I hate thunderstorms 4. I was a girl scout for 10+ years, plus I completed my gold and silver awards. 5. I've done CPR on a baby. 6. I've been pregnant twice, one was a c-section and one ended at 14.5weeks. 7. I have Endometriosis. 8. I was an art major in college 9. I love to play everquest2 10. My favorite colors are blue and green. 11. I learned to knit when I was 7 from my grandmother, but didn't do much until 3 years ago. 12. I want to learn to spin one day. 13. I want a palamino and I would love to learn to run barrels. 14. I hate snow. 15. My favorite movie of all time is "The Goonies". 16. I love to read. 17. I enjoy scrapbooking. 18. I learned to crochet from my husband's nana and the ladies at church. 19. I've never been pulled over by the police. 20. I drive a 2007 ford escape. 21. I played the clarinet, saxophone and bass clarinet in middle school and high school. 22. I swam with the manatees in florida when I was 15. 23. I was a lifeguard throughout high school and some of college. 24. I was a WSI (water saftey instructor) and taught lots of children to swim. 25. I wear a size 8.5 shoe. 26. I can still wear some of the clothes I wore in HS. 27. I graduated high school in 2000! 28. I was born in Dallas, but grew up in Virginia. 29. I learned to shoot pool with my best guy friend in HS. 30. I've been to Disneyland 2 times. 31. I love the beach, but I rarely tan (burn). 32. I don't feel comfortable in a dress. 33. I had appendicitis when I was 16. 34. I have 1 brother (23) and 1 sister (16) 35. My kiddo was born on 9-11-04 36. I married my ex-boyfriend's best friend. 37. I shot my first shotgun with my husband and father-in-law (when we were dating). 38. I love to go to rodeos. 39. I don't mind getting dirty. 40. I've never done any drugs. 41. My hair has been long for as long as I can remember. 42. My mom started highlighting my hair in the 7th grade. 43. I can "wiggle" my eyes. 44. I can be very stubborn/hard headed. 45. I am a night owl and hate early mornings. 46. The last book I read was called "electroboy" by Andy Behrman - GREAT book. 47. I would like to go skiing. 48. New Mexico is the furthest west I've gone. 49. I love chocolate. 50. I played softball when I was younger. 51. I has asthma 52. My parents are still married (almost 28 years). 53. I would love to be an EMT or do dispatcher work one day. 54. I spent a lot of time browsing the internet. 55. I love my ipod. 56. My first car was a 1995 geo tracker - stick shift that I couldn't drive. 57. It takes me a long time to fall asleep at night. 58. I love lasagna (itallian food). 59. I've smoked 1 cigeratte when I was 20 - it made me sick. 60. I've only gotten sick 2 times from drinking. 61. I have 3 dogs and 1 cat. 62. I have bad allergies and must take medicine daily. 63. I can't take vitamins with iron in them. 64. I love coke. 65. My favorite alcoholic drink is a strawberry daquri or a mudslide. 66. I've never found a beer that I like. 67. When I get too hot, I pass out. 68. I had my wisdom teeth out when I was 18. 69. I've never had stitches due to an accident/injury. 70. My cowboy boots are pink. 71. My hate to have my feet touched. They are very ticklish. 72. My favorite author is Janet Evanovich. 73. I love to read romance, suspense/thriller, mystery and recently memoirs/biographies. 74. Grey's Anatomy is my favorite Tv Show. 75. I had a cruch on Jonathen Taylor Thomas when I was younger. 76. I dated 1 guy throughout most of High school. 77. After spending 2 weeks with my now husband, I knew I was going to marry him. 78. I got married in January. 79. I love summer and hate winter. 80. I want to travel one day. 81. I love to fish, but hate to actually touch the fish (need my fish glove). 82. I love to eat catfish. 83. I hate to fold laundry. 84. I like to be on a schedule and always know what's going to happen. 85. I don't do well with surprises/unexpected. 86. I have a fear of heights. 87. I don't like star wars. 88. Texas Roadhouse is my favorite place to eat. 89. I only have 1 set of grandparents left. 90. I get emotional when I drink 91. I've been to Niagra Falls 92. I received a good sportsmenship around in elementary school. 93. I'm still paying on my student loans from college. 94. I diseccted a cat in High school. 95. I've played with a cadaviar in High school. 96. I bite my nails. 97. I don't wear alot of makeup b/c I never know what to buy. 98. I like to sing, but I don't sound very good. 99. For as long as I can remember, I wanted to be a Marine Biologist. 100. I was accepted to Texas A&M at Galveston as a transfer student to start Marine Biology my junior year. I declined.
Ok so I thought it was time to update my list of items to finish up!
1. Sirdar Duet - I'm about 45% of the way done. I need to finish knitting the other side and then put it together and knit the neckband portion.
2. Alene Camisole- This has been snoozing for a long time. I put it aside when I was pregnant b/c I knew it was something I wouldn't be able to wear.. Well now I need to finish it up :) I need to seam it together and then do the lace bottom portion.
3. I have 1 oddball preemie blanket and 1 oddball baby blanket that are finished knitting, but I need to add the crochet border to.
4. I have another oddball baby blanket being mailed to me this week and it will need to be finished up.
5. 2nd crochet prayer shawl for church. I need to continue work on this!
6. I also have a mix and mingle knitpicks afghan to finish up. Right now it's too hot!
7. I have yarn to dye and then start my first sweater.
8. LOTS of sock yarn that needs to be turned into socks.
9. I have a bunch of cute patterns qued on ravelry that I'd like to start on once I get a few of my UFO's to FO's.
10. Plus there's always loads of books on my shelf that I want to read :)
So there it is. The things I need to be working on!
I've got a preemie blanket and a regular blanket I'm working to finish up. I've actually finished the knitting on the regular baby blanket, I just need to do a crochet border! I'm half way done with the preemie blanket and then I'll also add a border to it!
Then I plan to get back to working on my sidar duet shirt. I've got the front done. I need to knit the back and then put it together and do the neck band. It'll be really nice once I'm done.
I've queued a bunch more items I'd like to make. I wish I knit faster. Or better yet, I wish I could read and knit at the same time! I've been reading a lot lately, and that doesn't leave much time for knitting! More hours in my day maybe?